Monday, November 16, 2009

Yes, I am a dork

My new couponing hobby has taken on a life of it's own! Now that I sort of have the hang of this I am determined not to pay full price for anything I buy.

Well... this is not entirely true. I buy a lot of things that never go on sale and for which coupons don't exist, such as the olive bar, fresh produce, spring greens, etc.

But everything else is fair game. With a little planning and organization so far I am doing well! The key to really saving money is to stack manufacturer's coupons on top of in-store sales.

For example, this was my recent trip to CVS:

1 box Kleenex
1 bottle L'oreal Vive Pro conditioner
2 tubes Colgate Total toothpaste
-------------
$3.37

Not bad! How did I do this? Well, the Kleenex was on in-store sale, one box for $0.99. The conditioner was on in-store sale for $2.99 (down from $3.99) and I had a $1 off coupon so I paid $1.99

The toothpaste was on sale for $2.89/tube - down from the regular price of $5.79 AND the in-store sale was buy one get one free. On top of that, I had a coupon for $1 off. So I got two tubes of toothpaste for $2.89 - $1 = $1.89 = $0.95 per tube.

I also had $1.50 CVS Extra Care Bucks. Total saved: $9.89

Voila!

I did NOT get the thing I needed most because I couldn't find it, but oh well. I made out pretty well regardless!

No comments: